linzhall

Thoughts from a bookaholic

I don't just love to read, I HAVE to read - I am on a never-ending quest to find books that I connect with on some level. Finding a book with the "sticking power" to be remembered long after its been read is something I so rarely find, that it has become an obsession.
Affliction - Laurell K. Hamilton I have followed this series from the beginning - through the good, the bad, and the sometimes bizarre - so reading this latest book was a given. Maybe it's just me, but it seemed like this one had some of that feel we got from Anita's earlier books where the crime fighting had a stronger focus. I'm not sure if I really liked the redirect...yeah, I think the sex scenes needed a reduction, but this one seemed to lack the strong emotion that the latter works have had. One of the reasons I've stuck with this series is because some of the books have had some of the best emotional moments I've ever read - and I value writers who are able to create that kind of reaction through their writing.

Affliction seemed more like a "filler" book that's setting the stage for then next book in the series. I didn't get lost in this one like I have the others - it just didn't have the same epic feel where so much happens during the book that you can't believe where you've landed at the end because it's so far from where you started at the beginning (if that makes sense). This is one of my favorite things about Laurell Hamilton's writing - the only other writer that I think does a better job of creating and epic wild ride with every book is Karen Marie Moning in the Fever series. But I just didn't get that from Affliction - so while I was pleased to revisit familiar characters, I was disappointed with the lack of depth, development and pace. Hope the next one doesn't take a year to come out.