linzhall

Thoughts from a bookaholic

I don't just love to read, I HAVE to read - I am on a never-ending quest to find books that I connect with on some level. Finding a book with the "sticking power" to be remembered long after its been read is something I so rarely find, that it has become an obsession.
Unwind - Neal Shusterman The writing in this book was excellent and I'm a little sad that I was so late in reading it - had I read it closer to the actual publication date, I think I would have been blown away by it...by reading it now, the originality/uniqueness of the body part harvesting concept is lost because I've read novels with similar themes that were published after Unwind. I will say the scene involving a play-by-play view as one character experiences the unwinding procedure is one of the most disturbing things I've ever read. It's not something I'll easily (if ever) forget - it was brilliant but it was tragic and terrifying. In this moment, this book shines above the others because it doesn't allow the reader to avoid the awfulness of the subject matter. This book shoves every bit of it right in your face and lets you choke on it. Most writers will break away when the stress level gets to a certain point for the reader - some even push the reader just beyond that threshold where things start getting really uncomfortable - but this novel offers no sort of filter and instead, makes the reader fend for themselves.